What To Do In A Storm
What to do in a storm
What to do before the storm
Ensure you do the following before a severe storm arrives:
- Check that loose items such as outdoor settings, umbrellas and trampolines are safely secured.
- If it is safe to do so, check gutters, downpipes and drains are not blocked.
- Park your car undercover and away from trees.
What to do during the storm
Ensure you do the following during a severe storm:
- Stay indoors and away from windows.
- If outdoors, shelter away from drains, gutters, creeks and waterways.
- Be prepared for power outages.
- Floodwater is dangerous – never drive, walk or ride through floodwater.
- Floodwater is toxic – never play or swim in floodwater.
What to do after the storm
Ensure you do the following after a severe storm:
- Check your home and property for damage.
- Keep clear of damaged buildings, powerlines and trees.
- Be aware of road hazards such as floodwater, debris and damaged roads or bridges.
- Do not drive through affected areas unless it is necessary.